Sunday, January 3, 2010

Lost in Translation

Last night I was thinking about updating the FAQ: what if someone did want to translate TWR into a foreign language? Translating webpages, especially smaller ones, is very hard, so I would merely suggest that you plug it into Google Translate or something and hit the button. But just for fun, I did some tests...

Below is the original post from three days ago.


It turns out the fireworks stand we always went to is gone, which was heresy. Because there was a burn ban on 7/4, I wanted to compensate. Plus it was a new decade. Having New Years without fireworks is like Christmas without a tree, a birthday without cake, babies without diaper-changing, and presidential elections without Ralph Nader. The party went well. The low points came when my baby cousin kept calling for me but she really didn't care when I came. The second low point...I wanted to use the computer in my room, so I went in to get my chair back (it was "borrowed" for Rock Band). When I came back, four people were in my room. Thankfully, they were my cousins, not destroying my things, and being quick-and-decent. A similar case otherwise would probably involve fancy swordplay.

We translated into Spanish with Google Translate, the new de facto way of doing it.

Resulta que los fuegos artificiales están siempre íbamos a se ha ido, que era la herejía. Porque había una prohibición de quemar 7 / 4, quería compensar. Además se trataba de una nueva década. Vista de Año Nuevo, sin fuegos artificiales es como la Navidad sin un árbol, un cumpleaños sin torta, los bebés, sin cambiar pañales, y las elecciones presidenciales, sin Ralph Nader. El partido ha ido bien. Los puntos más bajo llegó cuando mi primo bebé seguía llamando para mí, pero ella realmente no le importaba cuando yo llegué. El segundo punto más bajo ... Yo quería usar el ordenador en mi habitación, así que fui a recibir mi silla (que era "prestada" para Rock Band). Cuando regresé, cuatro personas estaban en mi habitación. Afortunadamente, ellos eran mis primos, no destruir mis cosas, y de ser rápidos y decente. Un caso similar de otro modo probablemente por la espada de fantasía.

Back into English now
It turns out that the fireworks are always going to be gone, that was heresy. Because there was a ban on burning 7 / 4, wanted to offset. Furthermore it was a new decade. View New Year without fireworks is like Christmas without a tree, a birthday without cake, babies, without changing diapers, and the presidential election, not Ralph Nader. The party went well. The lowest point came when my baby cousin was calling for me, but she really did not mind when I arrived. The second lowest point ... I wanted to use the computer in my room, so I went to get my chair (which was "borrowed" for Rock Band). When I returned, four people were in my room. Fortunately, they were my cousins, not destroy my things, and be quick and decent. A similar case would otherwise probably invented by the sword.


Then we tried it with the older Babelfish.
Resulta los fuegos artificiales nos coloca fue siempre a se va, que era herejía. Porque había una interdicción de la quemadura en 7/4, quise compensar. Más era una nueva década. Tener Años Nuevos sin los fuegos artificiales es como la Navidad sin un árbol, un cumpleaños sin la torta, bebés sin el pañal-cambio, y elecciones presidenciales sin Rafael Nader. El partido fue bien. Los puntos bajos vinieron cuando mi primo del bebé guardó el pedir mí pero ella realmente didn' cuidado de t cuando vine. El segundo punto bajo… que quise utilizar la computadora en mi sitio, así que entré conseguir mi parte posterior de la silla (era " borrowed" para la banda de rock). Cuando me volví, cuatro personas estaban en mi sitio. Agradecidamente, eran mis primos, no destruyendo mis cosas, y siendo rápido-y-decente. Un caso similar implicaría de otra manera probablemente esgrima de lujo.

And came out with this
It is the fireworks places to us always went goes away, that were heresy. Because there was an interdiction of the burn in 7/4, I wanted to compensate. More era a new decade. To have New Year without fireworks is like Christmas without a tree, a presidential birthday without the cake, babies without the diaper-change, and elections without Rafael Nader. The party was well. The low points came when my cousin of the baby really kept asking me but she didn' taken care of of t when I came. The second point under… that I wanted to use the computer in my site, so I entered to obtain my later part of the chair (was " borrowed" for the rock band). When I became, four people were in my site. Thankfully, they were my cousins, not destroying my things, and being express-and-decent. A similar case would imply of another way probably luxury fencing.

We then noted that...

• Google Translate was far superior to Babelfish, yet the second-to-last sentence was done better by Babelfish than Google.
• "Fancy" became "Invented" in Google and "Luxury" in Babelfish. Luxury is closer.
• Babelfish turned "Ralph" into "Rafael" and cut out "presidential" entirely. But the sentence was still done better by Babelfish.
• Babelfish completely botched the first sentence.
• And the "Low points" sentence.
• I wonder why they put a comma after "babies".
• When nouns were put into Babelfish, "el" and "la" were added but not taken out when it went back to English, explaining the excessive "the"s.

No comments: